Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sense and Sensibility





Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

If you have strong feelings, is it better to express them, eagerly and passionately, to the whole world? Is it wise? And if you always show the world a calm face and a quiet voice, does this mean there is no passion, no fire in your heart?
Sometimes the Dashwood girls do not seem like sisters. Elinor is all calmness and reason, and can be relied upon for practical, common sense opinions. Marianne, on the other hand, is all sensibility, full of passionate and romantic feeling.
Hope of marriage disappear, guilty secrets come to light, hearts are broken, but which sister feels it more? Calm and sensible Elinor, smiling bravely and saying not a word - or romantic Marianne, sobbing wildly and passionately all night long...

I've been still reading it and I have only few pages left :) I was supposed to watch a movie 'Sense and Sensibility 1995' after this book, but I wasn't able to find it on the Internet. Hm, it's OK. I have tons of things to do execpt for that!

What made me suprized is there are so many common things in her novels. I felt like I was reading the parody of 'Pride and Prejudice'. I wonder whether that's becuase it was written in Jane Austen's style or these kinds of happenings were quite common in those days.

OK, let me show some things in common I found out in her novels.

1. The main charactors were two oldest girls, looking for their perfect husbands, among their sisters.
2. The older sister met a man first but soon she was hurt from their relationship.
3. The younger sister met the first so-and-so who was very agreeable and handsome but there was the second so-and-so who was very rich and liked her.
4. The first so-and-so actually had had an affair with a girl who was related to another so-and-so.
5. So the younger sister was really disappointed in the first so-and-so.
6. In the end, the old sister married the man who had broken with her once.
7. The younger sister fell in love with the second so-and-so and married him.
8. All of them lived happily ever after except for the first so-and-so.
9. Inharitance is one of the important topic in the novel. Oh, a large fortune as well!

Perhaps, I can write more than 20 things!

Anyway, it was interesting to see what those people thought the most important thing was, how their manners and life style were, how they spoke with rather old-fashioned words, or somthing classical English in the book.

And I like this title, Sense and Sensibility :D It goes well with the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment