Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

2. All Koreans get 1 year old on January 1st. > The mystery of the Korean Age System





2. All Koreans get 1 year old on January 1st.

Can you believe that all Koreans get 1 year old on the exactly same day that's January 1st?! It's true and I may know what you want to ask me next.

'Do all Koreans have birthday parties on January 1st?'
This is the question all my friends asked me when I explained about the Korean age system.
We have a very big celebration party on January 1st, not because we get 1 year old, but because it's New Year's Day! Indeed, New Year's Day is one of the biggest holidays in Korea.

You also want to ask me again, don't you? ;) Like this:
'You don't get 1 year old on your birthday, but do you celebrate your birthday?'
Yes, we do, because it's our birthday, which we were born on the day in the past.



# To see other posts that related to this topic:
  0. Introduction
  1. Lular birthday and solar birthday?
  2. All Koreans get 1 year old on January 1st.
  3. Why do Koreans always ask people's age?
  4. International age vs Korean age

No comments:

Post a Comment