Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

What is the Korean Alphabet, Hangeul?



What is the Korean Alphabet, Hangeul?


How do we read ‘Father’? Yes, we pronounce it [fɑ:ðə(r)].

Then how do we read ‘Bakery’? We pronounce it [beɪkəri].

That is why English is so difficult for foreigners studying it like me. As you see, English words are always pronounced in different ways. When we read ‘Father’, the ‘a’ is pronounced ‘a’. However, the ‘a’ is pronounced ‘ei’ when we read ‘Bakery’.

Sometimes, I cannot pronounce some words even though I learned how to pronounce all the alphabets. Yes, I still have some trouble with English! English is so DIFFICULT!!!!

I am going to introduce the native alphabet of the Korean language, Hangeul. Of course, Hangeul has the rules to pronounce, but I think they are less complicated in Hangeul than English. (Notice: It is just my opinion! Haha)

Every Hangeul has the exact sound, so you may read Korean words as soon as learning how to pronounce each sound! (How beautiful it is :))

Linguists said Hangeul is the easiest language to read and write. (I completely agree with that! :p)

Before Hangeul was created, Korean used Chinese characters. However, Chinese characters were too difficult to spread among the common people. King Sejong invented Hangeul to improve their life in 1446.

He published Hunminjeongeum in order to explain Hangeul. Hunminjeongeum means the right sound to teach people.

Hangeul has 14 consonants

and 10 vowels.

I wrote down all the sounds under Hangeul!

Here are some rules!

OK. You are ready.

Just use a combination of 14 consonants and 10 vowels. It is like a puzzle!

This is the normal form to make a Hangeul letter. You need one consonant (like number 1. Consonant in the picture) and one vowel (like number 2. Vowel in the picture). You can put one more consonant or two more consonants after that, but it is not always necessary.

Can you read that letter, ‘한’? ‘ㅎ’ has ‘h’ sound, ‘ㅏ’ has ‘a’ sound, and ‘ㄴ’ has ‘n’ sound. ‘한’ is pronounced ‘han’.

How about this one? ‘경복궁’ is pronounced ‘Gyeong-bok-gung’!

This is the picture of Gyeong-bok-gung. It's a royal palace located in northern Seoul, South Korea.

I know it is not enough to make you master Korean. I just want to introduce what Hangeul is :)

Is it difficult? Then study it! Haha
I can help you :D Feel free to contact me when you are in trouble studying Hangeul!


I love Hangeul!
Let us love Hangeul! ;P Haha



PS_1

It is a tip for you! ‘안녕하세요’ means ‘Hello’ ;D Why don’t you greet in Korean? Haha


PS_2

Are you intereted in Hangeul or Korean?
Then, visit here! -> A Note on Korean Romanization (Click)
You would love there :)
There is an interesting blog post about Korean romanization!


2 comments:

  1. i want to be able to speak, write and read tis language so badly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you need any help, just let me know it! I'm actually helping several people for their Korean :)

      Delete