Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Korean Family Titles - Oppa/Unni/Hyung/Nuna


I would like to tell you a story that I experienced a few days ago.

I have a Malaysian friend who has got interest in Korean dramas these days and one day, he called me 'Hyung'. The moment he called me in that way, I was really embarrassed but I knew that he had no intention of teasing me and just misunderstood Korean culture so I just laughed at the awkward situation.

Then what is wrong with 'Hyung'?


There are several kinds of family titles in Korea, which play a very important role in building up as close relations as family relationships.

I am going to introduce four Korean family titles, Oppa/Unni/Hyung/Nuna. These titles will be useful if you want to get close to a Korean friend.

*

This part which deals with Oppa and Unni(or Onni) is especially for girls.

*

1. 오빠 [oppa]


OK, let us start with 'Oppa'. 'Oppa' is what girls call their older brother and what girls call their older male friend who is close to them or who they want to get close to. Korean guys like a cute girl who acts like a little sister so 'Oppa' is always ranked as the first word which guys want to hear from girls.


Here is Rain. He was born in 1982 and he is definitely older than me - I was born in 1987 - so there is no doubt that I have to call him 'Rain Oppa' if I meet him in person.

*

2. 언니 [unni or onni]


There is another word, 'Unni(or Onni)', which is what girls call their older sister and an older female friend who is close to them or who they want to get close to.


She is one of my favorite Korean actresses, Han Yeseul, who was born in 1981. She is older than me, so what do you think I will call her? Yes, the answer is 'Yeseul Unni(or Onni)'.

*

Now, it is time for boys. If you are male and use 'Oppa' or 'Unni', your Korean friend would be so confused whether you are female or male. The words you must use are 'Hyung' and 'Nuna'.

*

3. 형 [hyung]


It is also simple. 'Hyung' literally means older brother which boys call and it is also used for boys to call their older male friend.


How about these guys? You may recognize that it is a picture of a popular Korean idol group, Super Junior. Let us suppose that you are male and younger than them, then what should you call them? Yes, you should call them 'Hyung'.

*

4. 누나 [nuna]


This is the last one, 'Nuna', which is what boys call their older sister and older female friend.


For example, I prepare a picture of Girl's Generation, also a popular Korean idol group. Supposing you are male and younger than them, you would call them 'Nuna'.

*

5. Name or 동생 [dongseng]

Then what if you are older than them or the same age? Then you can call them their name. Dongseng is also used to call younger friends.

*

You would remember the story that I was called 'Hyung' by my Malaysian friend and now I think you can correct this. How did he have to call me? Yes, I am his 'Nuna', not 'Hyung'.

In short, just do not forget 'Oppa' and 'Unni' to call your older siblings or older friends if you are female. And if you are male, call your older siblings or older friends 'Hyung' and 'Nuna'.

It is not so difficult that I want you guys to remember these and use them to your Korean friends. Thanks :)





10 comments:

  1. Wow, it's really good posting to understand Korean culture. :)

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should call you Kim nuna, then.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should call you K Jin or Dongseng :)
    K!! When will you be back in Korea? :)
    I want to go back this year n_n

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Allen_
    Thanks, Allen :) Hope this posting is useful for those who are interested in Korean culture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To T.
    You're Chaeru, right? :P Anyway, it's better to call me K-Jin nuna since we don't use the family title with our family name :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Gisela_
    Hey, you should come to Korea this year! I'm going to Korea this month :P It's surprising, isn't it? Just let me know when you plan to come :) And both K-Jin and dongseng are ok but Koreans tend to use the first one, just the name! So call me K-Jin, Gisela unni♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. im confused. what would i call a girl that is younger than me, and im really close too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, you need to see number 5 above. Just call the girl her name :)

      Delete
  8. what if your an older male not that i am but what if i was what would i call my younger male friend

    ReplyDelete